CENTER ON POLICY INITIATIVES – JOB POSTING
Date of Posting: March 17, 2015
The Center on Policy Initiatives is a research and action institute dedicated to creating economic prosperity, sustainable communities and a healthy environment for all. CPI serves a unique role in the San Diego region providing the analysis, policy solutions, education and alliances that advance social and economic justice.
Founded in 1997, the Center on Policy Initiatives has been at the forefront of the economic justice movement in San Diego. CPI works to increase access to good jobs and to improve conditions for low‐wage workers and their families. The organization envisions local government as an effective champion for the common good, and works to enable residents of all communities to have an informed and powerful voice in decisions affecting their quality of life.
CPI seeks an organizing director. The successful candidate must have a strong commitment to social and economic equity; collaborating with diverse community and worker organizations; and conducting effective organizing, outreach and the promotion of a comprehensive policy program.
Reports to: Program and Policy Director
Location: San Diego
The Organizing Director will:
- Lead campaign efforts, including developing collective goals, leading strategic planning, connecting organizing work with research and public policy
- Lead efforts for community outreach, recruitment, education and grassroots political action
- Build strong coalitional relationships among diverse groups of organizational stakeholders and neighborhood leaders
- Generate new program ideas and work with teams to implement and carry out programming
- Effectively align program staff support and operations with long-term agency goals and expectations
- Monitor and evaluate community organizing program, practices, and initiatives to ensure quality and effectiveness
- Provide leadership development training to build the capacity of grassroots leaders.
- Supervise and provide leadership development opportunities for organizing staff
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- Minimum 5+years of experience in labor, community, political, or faith-based organizing
- Ability to think strategically and creatively about organizational development, program design and implementation
- Experience working with communities of color, immigrant communities, and/or people whose first or only language is other than English is highly desirable
- Experience leading multiple components of a campaign from beginning to end
- Bilingual in English and Spanish with good written and oral communication skills highly desirable
- Able to manage multiple campaigns on different timelines and with different objectives
- Experience supervising other staff or leaders in projects or campaigns
- Experience working on economic justice issues
- San Diego ties preferred
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, salaried position. Salary is competitive, based on experience, with generous benefits. Benefits include family healthcare and matching 401(k).
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter and two references to HR at hr@onlineCPI.org with [Organizing Director] in subject line. Position available immediately.
The Center on Policy Initiatives is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply