The Center on Policy Initiatives has been at the forefront of the economic justice movement in San Diego since 1997. CPI is a nonprofit research and action institute dedicated to advancing economic equity for diverse communities throughout the San Diego region. CPI works to increase access to good jobs and quality healthcare, and to improve conditions for low-wage workers and families. For more information about our work, visitwww.CPISanDiego.org.
Position Description & Responsibilities
CPI seeks a dynamic Deputy Director to oversee program operations and development and to coordinate our strategic programmatic initiatives. As a member of CPI’s senior leadership team, the Deputy Director plays a key role in day-to-day operations and strategic planning for CPI’s future organizational development. The Deputy Director will report directly to the Executive Director, and will directly supervise senior program and campaign staff. The ideal candidate has strong leadership and management skills, is highly collaborative and is an excellent strategic thinker, planner and implementer. The Deputy Director must be able to lead multi-disciplinary staff teams and has significant experience working in the policy arena on strategic policy advocacy campaigns.
The Deputy Director’s primary responsibilities will be:
- Working with department directors, to create ambitious goals and effective plans to meet them; supporting their professional development; and serving as a thought partner and resource to senior leaders in their realms of responsibility, including on issues related to the management of their teams.
- Ensure smooth communication and coordination across departments and campaigns.
- Foster and reinforce a strong culture of rigor, innovation, and positive engagement.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, board and other members of the senior staff to develop, articulate and implement overall organizational strategy.
- Manage policy campaigns.
- Manage annual planning process that integrates goal-setting, progress tracking, metrics, impact and evaluation.
- Ensure there are strong performance management systems throughout the organization, and support senior leaders in hiring, coaching, retention of high performers, and addressing performance issues.
- Along with other organizational leaders, manage external ally and partner relationships, and represent CPI externally with a variety of audiences, including elected officials. Represent CPI’s campaign and program work broadly in the community, supporting collaborations and connections with government, academic, grassroots advocacy, and policy organizations.
- Assist the Executive Director and development staff to cultivate and support relationships with CPI’s current and potential funders.
- Work with Senior Leadership Team on budget and office-wide organizational planning.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications: Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to racial and economic justice and the labor movement. Also needed: willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary, and ability to work independently.
- 5-10 years’ public policy experience, working in government, community organization, union, or social/racial justice non-profit
- At least 4 years staff management experience
- Ability to effectively lead, manage and support people within a collaborative working environment
- Ability to build and maintain relationship with partners, donors, policy stakeholders
- Strong initiative, follow through, and attention to detail
- Strong meeting and training facilitator
- Effective strategic planning, program evaluation, project management, and team-building skills
- Excellent analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, skilled listener and communicator, emotionally mature
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, campaign environment
- Integrity, discretion, good judgement
- Bi-lingual a plus
Terms of employment: CPI’s salary and benefit standards are very competitive and will depend on qualifications and experience. The full benefits include family healthcare, a matching 401(k) and generous vacation and holiday time.
Application Process: This position is available immediately.
E-mail cover letter and resume to Clare Crawford at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
CPI IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.