Orange County Communities Organized for Responsible Development (“OCCORD”) seeks an executive director to lead a cutting edge social justice organization with a successful track record. We seek a highly qualified candidate that has demonstrated commitment to social, economic and racial justice ready to take an organization to the next level.
OCCORD was founded as a community-labor alliance in 2005 with a mission to bring workers, families and community partners together to organize and advocate for good jobs, strong neighborhoods and an inclusive democracy in Orange County.
OCCORD combines community organizing, civic participation, strategic research, and advocacy to engage residents, workers, and stakeholders in local government decisions that impact economic opportunity, community health, and overall quality of life.
The executive director will take leadership of this dynamic organization and a talented staff team of 10 people working to create power for low income people of color and an inclusive Orange County.
The executive director serves as the chief executive officer of OCCORD. The executive director reports directly to the Board of Directors and is principally responsible for ensuring the overall success and effectiveness of the organization, including implementation of the organization’s policies, programs and financial and staff management. Key responsibilities include:
1. Visionary and Strategic Leadership: Ensures OCCORD engages in strategies that are aligned with the vision and mission of the organization; Ensures campaigns, programs, fundraising and operations are aligned with the vision and mission; Ensures that timely progress is made to achieving the mission of the organization; Leads strategic planning process; Creates space to identify and explore new ideas and opportunities.
2. Fundraising: With the support of the Board, ensures that OCCORD maintains a diverse and sustainable funding base, including major donors, grassroots fundraising, grants, special events; Identifies, cultivates and maintains relationships with funders and donors and ensures compliance with all commitments to funders and donors.
3. Organizational Partnerships/Relationships: Proactively develops and maintains relationships with key allies, elected officials, and decision makers. OCCORD is a key driver in coalitions where it is a member.
4. Campaigns and Programs: Ensures that the organization’s campaigns and programs are aligned with the mission of the organization; Ensures proper planning, staffing, oversight and strategy of the campaigns and programs.
5. Staff Development: Recruits, retains and motivates a diverse and talented staff with a commitment to social, economic and racial justice; Ensures staff receives the training, support, supervision, evaluation and leadership development that they need to succeed; Maintains and advances an organizational culture that supports work/life balance and fosters positive staff relations. Invests in the development of organizing talent for the Orange County movement overall.
6. Administration and Operations: Ensures effective administration and operation of the organization, including legal, financial, compliance, management and HR.
7. Board support: Supports and motivates the Board of Directors in fulfilling its legal duties and responsibilities to the organization.
8. Ambassador: Serves as spokesperson and leader of OCCORD with allies, partners, public officials and the general public. Proactively positions OCCORD and advances its reputation and message in the community.
1. Understands OCCORD’s mission and model for building power with community and labor. Understands the issues and politics in Orange County.
2. A visionary and strategic leader that is charismatic, inspiring, passionate and hardworking. Strong coalition builder and strategist. Persuasive public speaker. Proactive relationship builder and networker.
3. A seasoned leader with a minimum of 8 years experience working on social, racial or economic justice issues including a track record of building and maintaining strategic relationships with coalition partners, allies and funders, leading and winning organizing or policy campaigns, working with labor and community, developing community leaders, creating and implementing programs, nonprofit management.
4. Significant success in fundraising from a variety of sources including major donors, foundations, corporations, grassroots donors and in cultivating new funders and donors. Experience leading a fundraising team composed of board, staff, key stakeholders and consultants.
5. Demonstrated commitment and dedication to social, racial and economic justice.
6. A respect and willingness to work with differing perspectives, voices and backgrounds.
7. Experience with staff development, supervision and management. Has a mentoring/coaching style of managing staff, is accessible to staff, is a delegator, not a micro manager. A team worker who will roll up his/her sleeves and work with staff and community.
8. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
9. Experience supporting a nonprofit board of directors fulfill its legal duties and responsibilities.
10. Excellent personal organization and time management skills. A dedicated, hard worker who also practices self-care and manages stress well.
11. Education: BA or BS degree or equivalent.
12. Bilingual, bicultural and roots in Orange County desired
COMPENSATION: Salary range is $75,000-$85,000 depending on experience with benefits
APPLICATION PROCESS: Cover letter, resume and 3 references should be sent via electronic mail to OCCORD attn: Ada Briceno at: firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents emailed should be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format. The position will remain open until filled.. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Please indicate any requests regarding confidentiality of your candidacy in your cover letter. We will respond to all applicants, therefore, please refrain from inquires as to the status of your candidacy.
OCCORD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER THAT STRONGLY SUPPORTS THE SOCIAL GOALS OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.