Reports to: Director of Strategic Campaigns
Job Description: Pittsburgh United seeks a full time organizer for the Pittsburgh region. The organizer will conduct outreach for Pittsburgh United campaigns, work with partner organizations and coalitions, communicate with faith leaders, individual workers and neighborhood residents, and plan and execute organizing campaigns/actions.
Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to work with a diverse array of individuals and communities. Candidates must have a strong commitment to strengthening labor unions and social, racial, and economic justice movements. We are seeking individuals with previous experience in grassroots/political organizing in the social justice movement, nonprofit or public sector, or comparable experience, who are passionate, enthusiastic, and energetic. The successful candidate will conduct organizing campaigns in targeted industries or issue areas. Expertise in organizing is not required. What is more important are a willingness and ability to learn along with strong abilities and experiences. Qualified applicants should be interested in working with Pittsburgh United’s staff to build upon previous successes and grow the capacity of the organization. The successful candidate will have strong verbal and written communication skills, and enjoy building and maintaining relationships with staff and stakeholders.
● Organize, develop, and staff strategic issue campaigns
● Plan, organize, facilitate, and debrief actions and meetings
● Communicate and build relationships with partner organizations, including labor unions, community organizations, environmental groups, faith organizations, and others
● Monitor and/or participate in appropriate governmental and public meetings and processes consistent with Pittsburgh United campaigns, including lobbying, testifying, etc
● Support Pittsburgh United’s fundraising activities
Qualifications and Skills:
● Belief in and commitment to progressive social, racial, and economic justice
● Interest in issues including but not limited to: affordable housing, quality jobs, environmental justice
● Commitment to understand race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of your work as well as the impact these structural issues have on our own work environment
● Experience in leading a team in project work
● Demonstrated skills in community outreach and organizing (experience with coalition organizing preferred)
● Exceptional oral and written communication skills
● PA Drivers License and access to a vehicle (preferred)
Other Information: The work schedule includes some evening and weekend meetings and events, as necessary. Candidates requiring strictly a 9 to 5 schedule will not be a good fit for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience, within the budget constraints of this small nonprofit organization. Pittsburgh United offers an exceptional benefits package including family health care, paid sick days, paid time off, and a flexible work environment.
How to Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com by November 13th, 2015. Pittsburgh United is an affirmative action employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.