Objective: Citizen Action of Wisconsin (CAW) and Wisconsin Federation of Nurses & Health Professionals (WFNHP) together seek a dynamic and socially committed person to join our team and lead a joint campaign to organize patients and medical professionals to fight for affordable healthcare for all. This position is located in Greater Milwaukee region of Wisconsin, and requires in-state travel and occasional out-of-state travel. The employer of record will be CAW.
Description of Work: The Health Organizer, with guidance from CAW’s Organizing Director & WFNHP’s Executive Director, will help lead the fight to protect and expand the right to health care in Wisconsin by organizing of medical professionals and health consumers to advocate on public policy and the practices of medical providers. The Health Organizer will work within a new cutting-edge membership organizing model pioneered by Citizen Action known as an Organizing Cooperative. This position is housed at Citizen Action of Wisconsin and will involve identifying and motivating a critical mass of dues-paying supporters to found the next member-led Organizing Cooperatives Citizen Action has founded throughout the state. (More information on the Organizing Co-ip model at http://www.citizenactionwi.org/coop) The new Health Care for All Cooperative will need to become financially self-sustaining to be permanent. The model has a very successful track records. CAW has succeeded in 5 previous organizing co-op drives since the model started in 2015.
Organizational Backgrounds: Citizen Action of Wisconsin Citizen Action has earned a national reputation as one of the leading state-based groups promoting quality affordable health care for all. Citizen Action’s approach combines the craft of one-on-one organizing with cutting edge issue strategies and astute exploitation of modern media. Our issue campaigns are grounded in long-term strategies to shift the issue climate in a progressive direction to achieve reform that guarantees opportunity, security, and freedom for everyone in Wisconsin. Citizen Action is deeply committed to organizing, and also has developed a strong capacity to integrate, augment, and amplify our grassroots organizing with a strong earned media operation and effective use of digital media. In 2015 Citizen Action of Wisconsin launched a new cooperative organizing model to develop sustainable funding, build more vibrant membership organizations, and expand organizing capacity. The idea is that if at least 250 people commit during a 60-day window to donate $20 to $30 per month, Citizen Action will hire a full-time professional organizer to work exclusively with the “member-owners” of the organizing cooperative. To date we have successfully established organizing cooperatives in Milwaukee, Western Wisconsin, Northeastern Wisconsin, and North Central Wisconsin. More information at citizenactionwi.org Wisconsin Federation of Nurses and Health Professionals (WFNHP) is affiliated with AFT Healthcare, the national healthcare division of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). The mission of the Wisconsin Federation of Nurses and Health Professionals (WFNHP) is to strive for a high quality healthcare system through empowering our membership to identify and advocate for the healthcare needs of our community; to fight for dignity, respect and equity in the workplace; and to bring about a high standard of living for ourselves and other healthcare workers.
- Work with professional leadership teams at CAW and WFNHP and volunteer teams to lead a local Organizing Cooperative membership drive.
- Directly organize and develop activists and volunteers to participate in Citizen Action/WFNHP’s existing campaigns in the areas of affordable healthcare for all and economic justice.
- Help organize coalitions and networks of members to advance critical issues of local importance.
- Develop Citizen Action’s story project, which includes developing compelling stories from individuals who are impacted by such issues as economic insecurity and the denial of health care freedom.
- Embrace and effectively utilize new communications technology, working within Citizen Action’s cutting-edge social networking and web technology programs to augment on-the ground organizing.
- Coordinate program and logistics for public events, mobilizations and other grassroots activity.
- Work in a focused way to advance strategic goals, and provide timely weekly reporting of progress.
- Integrate Citizen Action’s values-based communication into all organizing work.
- Philosophical commitment to progressive values, economic justice, and health care freedom for everyone in America
- Demonstrated experience in labor, community, political or faith-based organizing (at least 2
- years experience is preferred but not required)
- Ability to understand complex public policy issues and translate them into compelling organizing issues that motivate average people to act
- Experience with health policy, the Affordable Care Act, Medicaid, behavioral health, or with medical professionals a plus but not required
- Experience working with a broad array of organizations in a coalition on issues of social and economic justice
- Experience with and commitment to working on racial justice issues and/or working in communities of color a plus.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including ability to produce effective flyers, email alerts, coalition reports, blogs, and effective social media posts
- Strong creative strategic thinking skills
- Computer skills including e-mail, composing documents, designing flyers, working with databases, and social networking (Familiarity with NationBuilder, Google Docs, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, as well as managing Facebook and/or Twitter)
- Experience with online list-building and voter files a plus
- Ability to resolve conflicts while maintaining effective relationships
- Excellent listening, interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Strong personal time management skills, organization skills, and the ability to work under pressure
- Bilingual a plus but not required
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time position which includes high quality health coverage, dental, employer-matched 401K, life insurance, disability insurance, cell phone allowance, and other benefits. Some weekend and evening hours required. Starting compensation is based upon experience and demonstrated organizing skills. This is a union position, represented by OPEIU Local 9, AFL-CIO.
Please, no calls.
Citizen Action of Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status