Working Partnerships USA is seeking a strategic organizational leader with exceptional campaign and policy skills to partner with the executive director (ED) in setting the strategic vision for the organization and managing external campaigns and policy advocacy. This role is an excellent growth opportunity for campaign staff looking to advance and develop senior skills managing a number of community-labor campaigns and alliances.
For more than 20 years, Working Partnerships USA has been at the forefront of the national movement for a just economy driven by the power of working people. The Director of Campaigns will work to further the momentum we’ve built launching Silicon Valley Rising, an innovative community-labor collaboration engaging the tech sector in policy and organizing solutions to income inequality and occupational segregation.
Working Partnerships USA is a community organization bringing together the power of grassroots organizing and public policy innovation to drive the movement for a just economy. We build the capacity of workers, low-income neighborhoods and communities of color to lead and govern. Based in Silicon Valley, we tackle the root causes of inequality and poverty by leading collaborative campaigns for quality jobs, healthy communities, equitable growth and a democracy that works for all. We are co-founders of Silicon Valley Rising which is fighting to inspire the tech industry to build an inclusive, middle class.
The Director of Campaigns will report to the ED and be part of the senior leadership team for Working Partnerships USA. He/she will collaborate with the ED, the board, and the leadership team to implement the goals laid out in the organization’s strategic plan, provide analytical and strategic leadership on campaigns, develop and maintain relationships with policy makers and senior-level external allies, and both manage and mentor staff internally. This position maintains both internal and external facing responsibilities. External roles include representing the organization with policy makers, elected officials, funders and donors, the private sector including tech sector firms, and the media. Internal roles include managing policy and advocacy campaigns, providing strategic leadership and direction to the research and policy team, some fundraising responsibilities, and staff management. The position is a full-time, exempt position with a generous benefit package and is based in San Jose, California.
- Collaborate with ED and leadership team on organizational strategy, direction, and decision-making.
- Drive our organizing and policy agenda consistent with the organization’s strategic plan and mission, serve as the organization’s senior external campaigns coordinator.
- Lead public policy campaigns, in collaboration with our program director staff, which further our goals of building a just and inclusive regional economy.
- Provide strategic leadership to our policy and research team, working with director level staff to ensure implementation of strategic plan goals and create space for lead thinking for future work.
- Write position papers, policy briefs, op-eds, blogs, etc. to represent the organization’s work and drive our public policy agenda.
- Represent the organization on boards and commissions as needed and with elected officials, policy makers, the media and allies.
- Arrange for meetings, briefings, and strategy discussions with elected officials, allies, and policy makers about our work.
- Engage with a variety of stakeholders, including labor, the faith community, social justice allies, and policy-makers, to craft and spearhead our public policy agenda.
- Participate in regional, statewide, and national coalitions as needed.
- In collaboration with the ED, provide leadership to our fund development team, participating in proposal writing, donor meetings, funder recruitment, and events as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice, the labor movement, and our mission
- 5-10 years’ public policy experience, working in local government, community organization, union, or social/racial justice non-profit
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, especially a strong public speaker and communicator
- Strong analytical and research skills, with a high level of knowledge regarding local and state housing policy, health policy, jobs and income policies, public budgeting and finance
- Inquisitive, flexible and adaptable with strong initiative and follow through skills
- Excellent people manager, open to direction with collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization
- Persuasive with details and facts
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, campaign environment
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and/or Vietnamese a plus
- Ability to work nights and weekends regularly as needed
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Annual salary for this position will be based on experience. Generous benefits package, including full family health insurance and 401(k). This is a full-time, exempt position and an excellent opportunity for those seeking career advancement over time. Qualified candidates can send a resume, cover letter, and other materials to email@example.com. For clarifying questions about the position, please email with QUESTION RE: CAMPAIGN DIRECTOR in subject line.