Pennsylvania United is hiring two canvass directors for the remainder of the 2018 election cycle. One position is based in Washington County to cover Southwest PA and one is based in Erie County to cover Northwest PA. Canvass directors will be responsible for leading a team of 6-10 paid canvassers and coordinating voter contact efforts in their region as part of a coordinated statewide effort to support candidates that will fight for working class communities. Canvass directors will work directly with community organizers in these targeted counties to create an effective team that can achieve both voter contact and long-term community organizing goals. This electoral work will contribute to the broader goal of building sustainable power in key regions of Western Pennsylvania that will determine the political and economic future for working class people across the state.
We are seeking individuals who are passionate, enthusiastic, and committed to social justice, with experience knocking doors, having effective persuasion conversations, moving people to take action, and bringing together a team of people to achieve a set of goals. Previous experience as a canvass director or canvass lead is beneficial but not required. This is a full time position with a contract that covers June 4, 2018 - November 23, 2018.
- Work with the Field Director to develop a plan for the canvass team to contact and persuade the targeted number of voters in each county
- Recruit, manage, and support a team of paid canvassers to hit voter contact goals via door-to-door canvassing and peer-to-peer texting
- Lead trainings for paid staff and volunteers on personal story development, canvassing, and other voter contact tools
- As part of the door-to-door canvass, identify voters who are interested in participating in community organizing to create long-term change
- Support volunteers to run volunteer canvasses and public events
- Use VoteBuilder/VAN and Google Drive to track goals, voter contact efforts, and staff hours
Qualifications and Skills:
- Commitment to understand race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of your work as well as the impact these structural issues have on our collective work environment
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and challenge voters to take risks in order to make change
- Experience leading a project, tracking and achieving multiple goals, and coordinating logistics with multiple team members
- Previous experience using VoteBuilder/VAN and Google Drive to contact voters and track goals
- Organized, disciplined, and detail-oriented
- Ability to receive and integrate performance based feedback into ongoing work plans as well as the ability to provide relevant and timely feedback to peers in a constructive manner
- Drivers License and use of a vehicle
- A college degree or formal education is not required
The work schedule includes regular evening and weekend work. Candidates requiring strictly a 9 to 5 schedule will not be a good fit for this position. Canvass directors may also be required to travel frequently and spend extended periods of time in different communities across Western Pennsylvania.
About Pennsylvania United:
Pennsylvania United is a coalition of community, labor, and environmental organizations that builds power for working class communities around issues and politics. We bring together people and organizations to run issue-based campaigns, grow grassroots political power, and build a sustainable progressive movement in the counties outside of Pittsburgh with a history of pro-union progressivism that have shifted to the right over the past decades. Our organizing is focused on connecting communities of color with white working class communities in rural and ex-urban areas that have experienced disinvestment from economic opportunities and organizing resources, with the goal of rebuilding long-term organizing infrastructure.
Paid sick days are included. A cell phone reimbursement, as well as mileage and campaign expense reimbursements, will be provided.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED