ISAIAH is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to social justice. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
ISAIAH ORGANIZATIONAL SUMMARY: ISAIAH is an interfaith, multi-racial, democratic and nonpartisan faith-based community organization in the Twin Cities and across Minnesota. Our 100 member and partner congregations (representing 175,000 individuals) work to promote and create racial and economically equitable communities through intentional, intensive leadership development; collective, faith-based actions and deep partnerships with grassroots organizations and public servants. ISAIAH works to ensure that all people, particularly those who historically have been left out of opportunity, become involved in shaping the future of their community. ISAIAH is recognized throughout Twin Cities and St. Cloud communities (and nationwide) as being in the vanguard of organizations advancing a healthy communities and racial justice agenda. ISAIAH is an affiliate of the PICO National Network, which is the largest grassroots, faithbased organizing network in the United States. PICO works with 1,000 religious congregations in more than 200 cities and towns through its 60 local and state federations.
POSITION SUMMARY: ISAIAH is seeking a Communications Director who will be responsible for working in relationship with the organizing staff and key volunteer leaders to lead the development and execution of the organization’s communications strategy. The position will lead work in the following key areas:
- Strategic Communications Planning & Integration
- Issue Campaign/Public Communications
- Media Relations
- Internal Communications to Member Congregations and Volunteer Leaders
- Organizational Identity and Image
Strategic Communications Planning & Integration
- Oversee internal and external communications planning aligned with long term direction of organization and organizational goals.
- Lead the creation of strategic communications plans, including message and content development, that connect organizational communications goals to issue campaigns.
- Assess internal communications needs and develop / implement solutions to address them.
- Engage with organizing staff and key volunteer leaders on an ongoing basis to collaborate, amplify, and ensure powerful, coherent messaging.
- Build the strategic communications capacity of ISAIAH’s staff, volunteer leaders, and coalition allies.
- Develop and implement social media plans to maximize platforms and ensure consistency.
Issue Campaign / Public Communications
- Build the organizational capacity to run effective issue campaigns, in coordination with ISAIAH’s Strategic Campaigns staff, issue campaign leads, operations staff and key campaign volunteer leaders.
- Convene coalition communications tables as needed, coordinating narrative, message, strategy and implementation as required.
- Build the digital and earned media capacities of ISAIAH’s staff, volunteer leaders, and coalition allies
- Work with organizing staff and volunteer leaders to help people powerfully share their stories
- Ensure earned media coverage of ISAIAH events and issue campaigns
- Cultivate strong relationships with news media, reporters, editorial boards
- Draft media advisories, statements, releases as needed and develop infrastructure for issuing them effectively
- Work with staff to identify current internal communications challenges and opportunities for improvement
- Craft strategic communications plan to engage regularly with various constituencies throughout the organization Organizational Identity and Image
- Work proactively with staff and members to maintain consistency of images and messages in alignment with organization’s mission, principles and key narratives across all forms of organizational communications
- Expand and deepen ISAIAH’s online presence
- Update or reimagine organizational identity including website, printed materials, social media images, video content as needed.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3 years or more years' experience working in media relations and/or strategic campaigns with demonstrated ability to proactively and reactively respond to media requests and create compelling public messages
- Commitment to working for racial & economic justice
- Superb writing, editing and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with social/digital media with familiarity in digital analytics and online content creation
- Experience with strategic communications, including development of narrative themes and messaging
- Experience working in or with faith based, constituency-based, and/or power-building organizations preferred
- Capacity to effectively build and develop relationships and move people into action
- Able to engage in bold vision-setting while also maintaining attention to detail
- Ability to work against urgent deadlines and manage challenging situations
- Ability to analyze complex systems, assess needs and propose solutions
- Energetic, entrepreneurial, ambitious
- Collaborative, relational, able to lead
- Creativity, imagination, curiosity and a desire to learn
- Flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing dynamics
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 2356 University Ave W., Suite 405, St. Paul MN 55114 to receive first consideration. The position will remain open until filled. SALARY AND BENEFITS Competitive salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits including health insurance, retirement package and generous vacation.