The Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE) has been at the forefront of the fight for economic justice in Los Angeles since 1993 winning policies to uplift working families and benefit whole communities. Advanced communications and media strategies are a key tool in our organizing to win. For more information about LAANE go to: www.laane.org.
Position Description: The Communications Specialist will work with the Communications Director and team of communicators to help lead LAANE’s strategic communications work. Core responsibilities include:
- Creating and curating website and social media content
- Shooting and curating photos for websites and social media pages
- Creating materials for internal and external use by campaign teams -- social media graphics, fliers, fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Coordinating the development of graphic materials and reports
- Developing and implementing communications strategies for various campaigns
- Developing strategic messages and frames for campaigns
- Leading the branding of new campaigns
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters locally and nationally
- Planning and executing press conferences and other media events
- Placing stories regularly in mainstream and independent media sources
- Writing press releases, Op-Eds, and other materials for media
- Training spokespeople for public hearings, press conferences, and interviews
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key community and labor partners
- At least 3-5 years of experience doing communications and media work for social justice campaigns, and/or an Undergraduate Degree in public relations, journalism or related field
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience with website and social media platforms and tools, including WordPress, Canva, Hootsuite
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic communications plans, craft messages, and execute tactics
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working families
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual (written and conversational) in Spanish is a plus
People of color and LGBTQIA+ candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls; only best-qualified applicants will receive a response. Starting salary DOQ; full benefits.