UNITE HERE Local 11 is hiring a New Development Campaign Researcher.
Our research teams conduct industry, corporate, real estate and political research and analysis to develop and carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for low wage, primarily immigrant hospitality workers. Our campaigns organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for existing union members in the food service, gaming and casino, and hotel industries.
About UNITE HERE Local 11: UNITE HERE Local 11 is leading the fight to organize low-wage workers in hotels, stadiums and event centers, and other food service locations throughout Southern California. Our union, with over 270,000 members nationally, is at the forefront of battles for workers' rights, immigration reform, living wages, and quality jobs.
Campaign Researcher job responsibilities will include:
· Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries and represent the union during the planning & political approval process
· Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of players including community organizations, company officials, customers, government staff and elected leaders
· Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
· Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, regional staff and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work.
· Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, on-line and Internet sources
· Conduct local and field research on companies, industries and/or real estate projects
· Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g. leadership & staff, workers, stockholders, political & regulatory bodies, the public)
Desired Qualifications include:
· Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers' rights
· BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience (e.g. labor, political, urban planning, or community/campus)
· Strong analytical, writing, computer and interpersonal/organizing skills
· Willingness to work long and sometimes irregular hours
· Familiarity with database and word processing software
· Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines
· Reliable car and driver’s license
Current UNITE HERE campaign researchers have worked in the past as community and union organizers, urban planners, journalists, teachers, and researchers elsewhere.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply. Salary is commensurate with experience. Positions include excellent health and retirement benefits.
To apply: send resume to Rachel Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org.